How do you apply a filter based on parameter selection in Tableau?
Step 1: Create a Parameter
- Click the down arrow next to Dimensions in the data pane and select Create Parameter…
- In the Create Parameter dialog, do the following and click OK: Name the parameter.
- Right-click [Choose a filter] in the data pane and select Show Parameter Control.
Can you use a parameter as a filter in Tableau?
Parameters are extremely simple – they allow users to select or input a value. That value can then in turn be used in calculations, and subsequently, filters. You can even set the values that users can select to be automatically created from a field in your data, which saves time.
How do you pass parameters in action filters in Tableau?
Create a parameter action
- In a worksheet, select Worksheet >Actions.
- In the Actions dialog box, click Add Action and then select Change Parameter.
- In the Actions dialog box, specify a meaningful name for the action.
- Select a source sheet or data source.
- Select how users will run the action.
How do you filter based on parameters?
Follow below steps:
- Add a parameter with required field.
- Add a calculated field to select the values from parameter into a new field.
- Now add the created field into filter shelf.
- Now when a parameter is selected, filter values would change wrt parameter.
How do you create a dependent filter in tableau?
To make filter to be dependent or be sensitive to other filters, toy must add them to context. So the filter than you want to be used as primary filter, Right click on the field and add to context. Now Add the remaining filters on to the sheet.
How do you dynamically hide parameters in tableau?
Drag out a horizontal container and place both the main parameter and the one that you want to show only when relevant (in this case the Comparison State) into it. Then place the Hide Parameter Sheet in between the two parameters.
How do you create a parameter based filter?
Step 1: Creating the parameter
- Right-click in the data pane and select Create Parameter….
- In the dialog box, name the parameter.
- Under Data type select String.
- Under Allowable values select List.
- Next, select Add from Field > Region.
- Add an additional value of All with the display text of All.
- Click OK.
How do you show hidden parameters based on another parameter in Tableau?
To hide, go to Worksheet>Tooltip and then uncheck the Show Tooltips option in the bottom left corner. Add a floating vertical layout container to your dashboard, and then place the worksheet within the layout container, changing the sizing to Entire View, and hiding the title.
How do I create a conditional filter in Tableau?
To apply conditional filtering, prepare a worksheet with some graphs or charts. By clicking on the filter and then on the condition you will get the window given below : Here one can apply conditional filter either by using field value with a condition or by applying a formula to the values of one or multiple fields.
What is conditional filtering?
Conditional filtering is where the decision about which features are output to which connection is decided by some form of user-defined test or condition. The Tester transformer is the most obvious example of this. It carries out a test and has different output ports for features that pass and fail the test.
What are conditional filters in Tableau?
Advertisements. One of the important filtering options in Tableau is to apply some conditions to already existing filters. These conditions can be very simple like finding only those sales which are higher than a certain amount or it can be a complex one based on a certain formula.
How to filter data utilizing a parameter in tableau?
How to filter data utilizing a parameter. Environment Tableau Desktop Answer The following instructions can be reviewed in the workbook attached below. Step 1: Creating the parameter. Right-click in the data pane and select Create Parameter…. In the dialog box, name the parameter. In this example, the parameter is named Toggle.
What is a quick filter in tableau?
Note: if you are new to Tableau, this is what a Quick Filter looks like. It allows users to slice and dice data interactively. There are many ways of solving this, whether through Data Blending or Dashboard Actions. In this case though, those options would cause problems with existing functionality, so I decided to go with parameters as filters.
What are filters with parameters?
Filtering with parameters. Parameters are extremely simple – they allow users to select or input a value. That value can then in turn be used in calculations, and subsequently, filters. You can even set the values that users can select to be automatically created from a field in your data, which saves time.
What happens when you change the parameter control in tableau?
In the dashboard, every sheet that has a filter linked to the Parameter will be affected when the parameter control is changed. It takes a couple moments to set up, but the end result is clean and easy to use, as you can see here. Matt Hull is a Business Consultant with the Tableau Professional Services team.